Monday, May 27, 2013

The grass is greener

Let me preface this by saying that I LOVE teaching high school English and could not see myself doing anything else at this time in my life.

I'm not complaining.
 I'm not unhappy.
I'm just trying to offer some perspective.

Anyway...it's about this time of year that many well-meaning people offer their thoughts about how I get the summers off because I'm a teacher. The grass is always greener...you know how the saying goes ;)

Why yes. Yes, I do get the summers off. And forgive me if I sound a tad bit "ranty" here, but I'm tired of people implying that I am OH SO LUCKY to get a couple months off. Let me remind you of a few things...

1) If you wanted the summers off, you could become a teacher, too. Just sayin'.

2) My "hours" are, technically, 8:30 a.m - 4:15 p.m., but I work some more in the evenings (grading and planning) and on the weekends (grading and planning). I have never, ever worked less than 45 hours a week and, when I sit down to calculate it, I work closer to 55. I bring work home, and I take it with me to volleyball tournaments, and it is constantly on my mind.

3) But can't you grade during planning? Ah, yes. I get 90 minutes of planning...every other day. During that time, I also have to make copies, call parents, run errands around campus, have meetings with parents/counselors/administrators...you get the picture.

4) I didn't get a raise this year (technically, yes, but that money went right back to the state retirement fund) and won't next year. I don't get bonuses or make commission.

5) The county no longer has the budget to do tuition reimbursement. So, getting my Master's will come out of my own pocket.

6) If I ever want to schedule an appointment during the day (doctor, dentist, etc.), I have to take a personal day or half-day from work. No leaving early or coming in late or going during lunch.

7) It's emotionally exhausting to love and pour yourself into 125+ kids every day. If I didn't get a break, I'd break down, literally.

8) I spend some of the summer teaching to make some extra money; this year, that money will go to saving for grad school/paying for my summer class. Most teachers I know either teach summer school or are involved in educational endeavors over the summer.

So, yes, I get some of June and July off, and if I didn't coach volleyball, I'd get most of August off. I am SO THANKFUL I do, because if I didn't, I would not be able to do my job.

My point is this:
All jobs have their pros and cons.
Comparing is foolish.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Please stop making comments about how lucky I am to have the summer off. I busted my tail for ten months and earned it.



2 comments:

  1. You are lucky though!! Cause where I am, I have to go every day! I only get 5 holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day but NOT Good Friday or MLK) and then I still have to work 8:30-5 during summer.

    But now I'm quitting, and you're still lucky cause at least you know you're getting a paycheck. I'm out of work indefinitely (albeit by choice). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am lucky! I don't deny that :) All of us who have jobs or are pursuing higher education are incredibly lucky :)

      Delete