Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Farmer's Market!

Today, I went to a local farmer's market. It wasn't nearly as good as the one in Harrisonburg, but it was pretty darn neat. If you've never checked one out, definitely look and see if there's one in your hometown; it's a FANTASTIC way to support local businesses!

A few tips...

1) Bring your own bags. Some vendors have plastic bags, but if you want to reduce impact on the environment, bring your own. I have some bags I made out of t-shirts and some other bags, like one I got for participating in a 10K, so I didn't even have to buy any :)

2) Ask questions! Talk to vendors about their products. Get to know the vendor's business philosophy. If organic produce is important to you, ask about whether or not their produce is organic.

3) Ask where else you can buy their products. I discovered the DELICIOUS AnnaB's Gluten Free Bakery today and learned they sell their products in a few local markets. P.S. Their cranberry orange muffins are to die for. Yum!

4) Bring cash!

5) Sample new items! Who knows? Maybe you'll like strawberry rhubarb pie or goat cheese?

What's your local farmer's market like?



No comments:

Post a Comment