Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ever in your favor

So, I decided to copy this idea from an elementary school teacher last year. It's a letter I write (brand new for each year) and give to my students. And, on each letter, I write a handwritten note to each student. Yes, it takes some time...but when my former students were coming up to me and telling me they had last year's letter on their wall, or seniors I had last year were asking, "When are we getting our letters?" well...I knew I had to keep up the tradition.

So, here it is:

Dear Senior of 2013,

I’m sure on the first day of school, I came across a lot like this: 




Hopefully, as we’ve gotten to know each other, I’ve been able to show you not only my passion for teaching, but also how much I care about you. Even if we don’t necessarily get along all the time or you think I don’t like you, be assured that I do care about you, your education, and your future. You are, and always will be, very precious to me. You’re one of my kids, and nothing could ever change that (sorry for going all “mom” on you; I’m getting sentimental in my old age).
            This was your last year of high school. Wow! That thought should excite and motivate you, and maybe even scare you slightly. I want to avoid the cliché “keep working hard” or “dream big” advice, so I’ll give you something slightly different.
Here is my NUMBER ONE piece of advice to you: read! Read books, read magazines, read newspapers, read blogs. You have all read at LEAST three books this year (supposedly)…think about how many you could read this summer! And you could ENJOY them, too! I remember you all looking at me like I was a crazy person when I told you that you’d be reading three books in one semester, but guess what? YOU DID IT. I watched you read silently throughout the year, annoyed when I’d say it was time to move on. I watched many of you read more than you have in your lives, even though it sounded impossible at first.
That segues into my second piece of advice for you: aim high. This is different than “dream big.” To me, dreaming big implies that your head is full of ideas, but you don’t take action. Aiming high means you have aspirations and goals, and you take the appropriate steps to get there. You work hard. You make sacrifices. You suck it up and do what it takes to go somewhere and do something productive, influential, and meaningful with your life. Set the bar higher, not lower, and you will achieve more than you ever thought possible.
Whatever your plans are, outline the steps you must take to get there. Additionally, remember that it’s normal and acceptable to alter your life plan numerous times. It’s ok to change your mind! You CAN reach your goals, but you must work hard and plan appropriately. As John Wooden (my personal role model) once stated, “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.” Be prepared this coming year, and take the summer to reflect on where your life is going and if you are becoming the person you want to be.
Finally, I want to thank you for all you’ve taught me. I’ve learned what the Harlem Shake is. I’ve listened to Trey Songz. I’ve discovered the beauty of your writing, the depth of your passion for your family and friends, and the desire you have to make a difference in the world. I’ve learned about your job interviews, your struggles with your relationships, and your favorite TV shows (which are mostly ones I don’t watch, but that’s ok). You have each taught me something, and for that, I am forever connected and indebted to you. I have learned patience, for sure! I’ve learned how to apologize when I’m wrong and accept your apologies when you’re wrong. I’ve learned that I am, in fact, overboard, and that I “do too much” and that sometimes I “be wil’in” (not even sure if that’s how to spell it…but you probably don’t know, either).
You’ve made me laugh. You’ve impressed me with your kindness, maturity, and thoughtfulness. You’ve taught me never to judge based on appearances or first impressions and to always give second chances.  You’ve taught me to be a more creative, hardworking teacher, and for that, I thank you.
I hope you have learned something from me, too, even if it wasn’t academic. You probably learned that sarcasm is my second language, that I love cats and reading, and that I can bake a pretty delicious cookie. You’ve learned I’m the only person in my family to graduate from college (you and I may even have that in common someday) and that I love learning. You definitely learned that the second person always gets caught and that being tardy isn’t the best idea ever ;) Truly, if learned something in my class this year, then my year was a success.
            Please stay in touch…come back and visit…find me at graduation (I’ll be the blubbering mess with mascara streaking down her face)
            And, of course, no letter from me would be complete without some poetry:
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”  - Dr. Seuss

I wish you all the best, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Love,



Mrs. S.

2 comments:

  1. Can I go back to high school and you be my teacher? Very inspiring indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niclette, you are so kind! YES, you absolutely can ;)

      Delete