Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why don't I like Twilight?

I've always been an avid reader. Mom would take us to the library as kids, and I'd leave with armfuls of books. Then, the next day, when I'd finished those, I'd start reading the books Mom was reading (mostly Christian fiction). She'd start to get a little annoyed when I'd catch up to her spot in the book/pass her/bug her to just "hurry up and finish it" so we could get the sequel from the library.

Anyway, the point is, I have always loved reading. Well, except for those two years of college when I majored in English and felt I could never devote the proper amount of time to the three novels I had to read per week or whatever ridiculous amount of reading we had to do. But I love it again now. I try to read books that are relevant to my high school students so I can make good book recommendations to them.

Thus, it is with a valid excuse that I can say, "I have read all the Twilight books."

And, as an English teacher, I can also say, "Those books are awful. They are poorly written. The characters are lame. The 'girls need a boy' message makes me want to vomit. Reading this series was more painful and torturous than slowly pulling Band-Aids off my abnormally hairy arms while simultaneously being submerged in an ice bath."

So, you should check out this hilariously brilliant Tumblr: http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/page/2

Seriously. It is my new favorite. Enjoy!

Edited to add: Thanks, Emily from GCM, for sharing that website. And there might be some occasional language on the website...but it's still worth taking a look at! 

5 comments:

  1. agreed. as much as i do in fact love the storyline, twilight is some ridiculous writing. the kind that actually makes me embarrassed and awkward for meyer.

    although, as far as bella is concerned, i read a great article (that i tried to find but couldn't) about how her swoony demeanor was reminiscent of renaissance characters in early brit lit. it was really good, and eye opening. although, i think the writer was talking more about movie bella, not book bella, which seem to be two different characters.

    anyway, i'm getting a real kick out of the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see I LOVED those books. They are one of muy favorite series, mainly because even when i am having a day where my brain doesnt want to work right i can still read and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the story so much that I could get past the writing. Though I loved her other book...The Host...much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet! I need to add it to my list on Goodreads, haha :) I'm glad to hear you liked it.

      Delete
  4. I share similar sentiments about Twilight. Blergh. x

    ReplyDelete