Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oh, Sandy.

I'll admit it...I've never really taken hurricanes seriously. When Hurricane Isabel hit in 2005, I spent the night at a friend's house, playing spatula mini golf and growing fond of not shaving my legs due to the lack of running water available. When Hurricane Irene hit last fall, my husband, mother-in-law, and I spent several hours playing board games by candlelight.

This year, though, is the first year I've ever prepared for a hurricane. Hurricane Sandy had me scared. I went to Target and bought Starbucks doubleshot energy drinks, waters, canned tuna, and animal crackers (all necessary for survival, of course). I purchased two flashlights, extra batteries, extra cat food, and some extra Yankee candles.

I was ready, people. I even researched "where to buy dry ice" with every intention of buying some in case the power went out and I needed to preserve the Lean Pockets and frozen spinach in my freezer.

The county I teach in was scared, too! They cancelled school Monday (hallelujah!). A day to do laundry, sleep in, eat Halloween candy that was supposed to be for kids while lounging on the couch glued to HGTV, and crochet that blue scarf I've been working on for two years!
But then county officials went all paranoid.

We also had Tuesday off.

Thank you, Sandy, for not destroying Virginia. To all you up north and on the coast- thoughts and prayers are with you. I know so many of y'all don't have power or transportation. Hugs to you all! Wish I could send you some tuna and animal crackers!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you got through ok! I'm in TN so didn't have to worry about it.
    SewingGreenMama stopping by from GCM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm glad we're safe too; my thoughts and prayer are with everyone who was affected by Sandy.

      Delete
  2. So glad that you got through ok! We were also okay here in Maine, although many people were very scared of this storm. Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I know about hurricanes, so I have to admit, I was a bit cynical about all the worry up here in Maine, but I do pray for all those affected in NJ and NY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All things considered, the devastation could have been much worse... Cold comfort for all those who are struggling with the aftermath. Glad you and yours came through it okay! It never hurts to be prepared, and I agree, anything Starbucks is a survival-necessity ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely could have been worse! I was blessed that we didn't get hit too hard :)

      Delete