Thursday, September 18, 2014

Dear Student(s)

Dear student,
If you're going to walk into my class drinking Starbucks...at least bring me some!
Kidding.
But seriously. Iced grande nonfat upside down caramel macchiato. With light ice and extra caramel, if you're feeling really nice.

Dear student,
I don't flipping care what Ms. So-and-so back in the 5th grade told you about your writing. If you are determined to learn how to write better, NO ONE CAN STOP YOU. Especially not her. If you're convinced you're not going to learn, YOU NEVER WILL. You're in charge of your education, NOT her.

Dear student,
Thank you for giving me your away jersey to wear to the big football game tomorrow. I feel incredibly honored that out of all the AMAZING teachers at VHS, you chose me. I will be cheering for you to beat those Panthers tomorrow night!

Dear student,
This is a strange thing to be grateful for, but thank you for mumbling under your breath during class. You are helping me learn patience. I will try not to lash out at you. I will try to connect with you individually. I will try to give you a good education, even though you don't like me. I will try to see the good in you. And p.s. I really don't care that you don't like me...that's life, and it's ok.

Dear student,
Thank you for letting me know what was wrong and hugging me when you were crying. I care, and I know you can get through what you're going through. I'm praying for you.

Dear student,
You're really quiet, and I think you think I don't notice you. I see you. You matter. And I like your taste in books.

Dear student,
I'm not sorry I took your phone. Don't let it go off again. Or at least change your ringtone to something entertaining... like the Dr. Who theme song. Or a cat meowing. That'd be hilarious.

Dear student,
Yes, you have to read every day. Reading is amazing. I hope that, by the end of the year, you will hate it just a little bit less and read a little bit more than you do now.



Dear students,
I love you kids already. I am so excited to learn together this year and to grow as readers, writers, and individuals.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment