Saturday, January 7, 2017

"This or That"

I struggle with the false dichotomies we human beings create.  As if there's no third option, or as if you can't like two things that people say conflict with each other.


But we do this in our society all the time, don't we, despite the fact that I think we can all think of times when there are more than two options?

I see it with politics.
I see it with religion and science (people think you either believe in religion OR in science. Ok, people, talk to my husband, the devout Christian chemist).
I see it when it comes to law enforcement or race- as if I cannot be BOTH supportive of police officers AND people of color (black people, African Americans, whatever you deem the appropriate term).
...and so many other issues.


Issues are complex. People are complex. When we create false "either/or" choices, we ignore these complexities.

False dichotomies are dangerous.

They encourage closed-minded thinking.
They alienate us from each other.
They prevent us from seeking reasonable solutions or more creative options.
They discourage logical, intelligent discourse.
They ignore different contexts and variables that should be a part of our considerations about a variety of issues.
They are logical fallacies. Just ask my AP students.

But I guess it's easier to pick one side than to take the time to examine all the different angles, elements, facts, and outcomes of beliefs and situations. So maybe we're just lazy.

Or maybe when we take a "third" side, we are all by our lonesome, on an island by ourselves. We'd rather be part of one group or the other so that we're not alone. That's what I discovered when I started becoming more vocal about voting Libertarian: I got attacked and sometimes just politely questioned by BOTH Republicans and Democrats. There were very few people to rally around me. It was a bit exhausting.

Can we admit that some issues are complicated? Can we admit that people don't always fit into two neat categories?

Because if we can, I think we'll be more balanced, empathetic, and understanding, and THOSE are all attributes our world could use a bit more of... don't ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment