Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Goodbye, Doctor. Hello, Ivories!

Lent is here. I'm not Catholic, but in my adult life, I've felt called to take 40 days to reflect on my relationship with God and the activities and habits that might be getting in the way of my search for a closer walk with Him.

I also decided to replace the unproductive things with productive ones, which brings me to share a (super short) video clip from today.

For Lent, I am giving up TV and Netflix. Yes, even the Doctor will not be seeing me for a while :( I don't think TV is inherently negative, but I was using it to relax and relieve stress TOO often. Not healthy.

And instead, I am going to plop down in front of the piano every time I feel the urge to grab the remote. Music, Christian or not, is a way I express myself.
I'm constantly amazed at the new melodies that can be created, the way music can make me feel so overwhelmed I want to cry or so jubilant I want to get up and dance. Music perfectly expresses whatever I'm feeling in my soul when words fail me.

But like many things I once enjoyed, playing the piano has given way to grading papers, and the times I used to head to the prayer room in Kendrick Hall to sing praise songs with friends has been replaced with vegging out in front of the TV to relieve stress.

Sadly, I think many of my adult friends don't even know how passionately I love music (especially singing). I truly, truly love it.

So I'm going to take 40 days to shake the rust of my fingers and clear the dust off my vocal cords. Actually, my goal is to finish the worship song I'm writing by Easter...we shall see...   

Anyway, tonight on Facebook, I asked for song names, because those are songs I'm going to sit down and "cover" during these 40 days of Lent. THANK YOU for those of you who answered the call ;)
Side note: covering these songs will probably motivate me to get my piano tuned...which really needed to happen six months ago :-D

So, here's just a sneak peek at some of what you MIGHT see on my blog in the coming days. Thank you, Christin, for the suggestion ;)

Blessings to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment