Sunday, August 26, 2012

A week of SURPRISES!

Well, let me tell you...I am all about rolling with the punches. Going with the flow. Taking life as it comes. Or, at least, so I think.


This month has challenged me and my need to be IN CONTROL. Because, as anyone who remotely knows me can affirm, I like being the boss. My mom tells a story about an interaction between my dad and three-year-old me. Apparently we had just eaten at McDonald's, and Dad told me to get in the car and get strapped in. "Why?" I retorted. Dad replied, "Because I said so, and I'm the boss."

My reply? "Well, someday I'M going to be the boss!"

Even at a young age, I exhibited a desire to be the boss. And so as much as I try to repress this desire, it rears its head over and over and over...

Like I said, this week my need to be in control has been tested.

1) Our kitchen was flooded. As in, I walked into my kitchen and thought Minion was having a pool party. There was about an inch of water on the floor, and the carpet got wet. Thankfully, our apartment complex came and cleaned it up (after 1.5 hours...). Less fortunately, a rug and a bookshelf were damaged.

2) Our AC stopped working. At least it's not 100 degrees outside, and Minion is LOVING the open windows :)

3) I was, without my knowledge, chosen as 12th grade English team leader at school. *jawdrop* Prayer much appreciated!

4) Oh, yes, the AC in my car is out, too. I've been blowdrying my hair by driving with the windows down. 

5) Our school gym will not have bleachers (sorry, visiting athletes and coaches). So, my poor senior volleyball players will not be able to have senior night in their own gym because bleachers will be getting installed near the end of the season :( That just plain SUCKS for these girls!

I know this isn't anything major; it's not life-altering. But, guys, it's HARD not being in charge! I tend to worry about stuff and how things are going to work out. I want to make life BETTER for people. And sometimes, I need reminders like THIS: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34

Happy last-week-of-August, dear friends! 

3 comments:

  1. I really like the Bible quote you chose. It applies to me so much right now... I need to try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! At point 5, I thought you were going to say the school was also without air conditioning.

    I love your writing. It has a similar style to my own, somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. When things go crazy, it all has to be at once! Sounds a little like how things go in my life. Hopefully, they'll start to balance out soon and you can feel a little more in control. :)

    ReplyDelete